Chronic disease management at WeCare
If you’re living with an ongoing medical condition, your WeCare GP is here to help. Please book a long appointment and we can develop a care plan if you’re eligible.
What’s a chronic condition?
We divide health conditions into two main types: acute and chronic. Acute health conditions have a sudden onset and might feel intense, but they’re relatively short lived – things like tonsillitis, a chest infection or a broken arm.
Chronic conditions, on the other hand, are long lasting and have persistent effects on your health. Affecting nearly 50% of Australians, chronic conditions are increasingly common and can have a significant effect on your quality of life. Many people live with more than one chronic condition.
Common chronic conditions include:
How can a GP help you manage your chronic condition?
Your GP can help you manage your chronic condition by:
- Developing a treatment plan
- Advising you on lifestyle changes that may improve your health
- Supporting you as you try to lose weight, quit smoking or exercise more
- Prescribing and adjusting any necessary medications
- Connecting you to other healthcare professionals whose expertise would help improve your health
- Seeing you regularly to monitor your progress
- Helping you navigate the health system and reduce the costs of care
- Being a stable, knowledgeable, supportive presence in your life over many years.
GP Management Plans and Team Care Arrangements
If you have a condition that has been, or is likely to be, present for at least 6 months, your GP can prepare a Management Plan. If you would benefit from the skills of a multidisciplinary team, then you may qualify for a Team Care Arrangement too.
These plans are organised in a specially booked appointment with your GP. Having a plan or arrangement means you and your GP can:
- Take a ‘big picture’ look at your health needs and discuss anything you’re struggling with
- Help you learn more about your condition, giving you a greater sense of empowerment and control
- Plan the care you need, determining the right medication, treatment targets and lifestyle improvements
- Establish a pattern of regular testing to check if your treatment is working
- Reduce the need for ad hoc visits to the doctor
- Identify other healthcare professionals who could play a helpful role in your care
- Enable you to access Medicare funding for allied health appointments.
Care for chronic conditions at WeCare
Your WeCare GP is here to help you live well with your chronic condition by providing a high standard of care and coordinating with any other healthcare professionals involved in your treatment.
If you’d like a GP Management Plan or Team Care Arrangement, please book a long consultation to discuss this with your doctor.
All information is general in nature. Patients should consider their own personal circumstances and seek a second opinion.